How do I get started?

The process appears to be overwhelming but is quite simple. All you have to do is get started!

First decide if it is legal for you to own a silencer.

Determine whether or not your state allows you to own a silencer. Private silencer ownership is currently legal in AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WE, And WY.  

Be at least 21 years of age to purchase a silencer from a dealer

Be at least 18 years of age to purchase a silencer from an individual on a Form 4 to Form 4 transfer (contingent on state laws).

Be at least 18 years of age to possess a silencer as a beneficiary of a trust or as a member of a corporation (contingent on state laws).

Be a resident of the United States Be legally eligible to purchase a firearm. You must not have any felony convictions.

Pay a one time $200 Transfer Tax, for each silencer purchased

Buying your silencer.

The first step is to find which silencer meets your needs. select correct thread pitch, color, mount or piston if those options are applicable.  If you are registering the silencer as an individual or a trust then you will attach a check to your completed application for the $200 Tax stamp before mailing to the ATF. This is the one time Tax paid to the ATF for each silencer you own.

Want to know how they compare, Check out, this is a great link for direct comparisons.

Register the silencer in your own name or a trust/corporation

We will complete with you with the ATF Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm) with the dealer information completed. You then complete the remaining required information on the form. Complete the back by answering the questions and stating the reason you are acquiring the silencer. Sign and date the back of both forms. 

Affix a recent color passport-sized photograph of yourself on the back of each copy of the form.

Get two copies of FBI fingerprint cards completed by your local sherif (FBI Form FD-258) that you will send in with the two duplicates of Form 4.

After the ATF approves Form 4, they will send it to the dealer where you purchased the silencer. The dealer will then notify you that the paperwork has returned and that the silencer is ready for pick up.